BUS 409 Week 3 Quiz 2
This file of BUS 409 Week 3 Quiz 2 gives the answers on:
1) This amendment to the U.S. Constitution gives Congress the power to regulate commerce with foreign nations, individual states, and Indian Tribes.
2) Which amendment to the U.S. Constitution made it illegal to restrict the freedom of religion, speech, and press, as well as protect the right of people to peacefully assemble?
3) Which branch of the federal government is responsible for interpreting laws?
4) These programs granted income to workers who were unable to work due to injuries sustained while on the job.
5) Which one of these issues is NOT addressed by the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938?
6) An employee has a regular hourly rate equal to $12. According to FLSA, how much should her/his employer pay this employee for each additional hour worked beyond the regular 40 hours within a period of 7 consecutive days?
7) An employee has a regular hourly rate equal to $10? S/he works 45 hours within a period of 7 consecutive days. How much should her/his employer pay this employee for 45 hours in total?
8) What are the revised guidelines introduced in 2004 for determining whether jobs are exempt from FLSA overtime pay provisions called?
9) Which of the following example is NOT considered as a compensable work activity?
10) Based upon the FLSA child labor provisions, what is the minimum age that a child must be in order to be legally employed?
11) Which of the following is NOT a protected characteristic by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
12) Intentionally treating women less favorably than men solely based upon their gender would be what form of discrimination?
13) A policy that applies to all company employees, but unintentionally hurts a protected group disproportionately would be what form of discrimination?
14) This act strengthened the Equal Pay Act of 1963 by now requiring employers to show that pay disparities are job related rather than sex-based. This act also prohibits employers from retaliating against employees who share their salary information.
15) The "equal benefit or equal cost principle" is part of which Act?
16) As a result of this law enacted by Congress, employers must now show that employment practices that create disparate impact are a business necessity. This law also made it legal for
17) This law makes it illegal to discriminate against people with physical and mental disabilities both within and outside employment settings, including public transportation, public accommodations, and employment.
18) The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) applies to companies that employ at least how many workers?
19) Jennifer works as a clerk in a company. The essential function of her job is producing memoranda using word processing software. If she develops crippling arthritis, which act requires her employer to make reasonable accommodations such as providing a voice-recognition input device?
20) Construction contractors, working on government contracts valued at more than $2,000, must pay their laborers and mechanics what type of local area based wage according to the Davis-Bacon Act of 1931?
21) This law was established in order to regulate the implementation of various employee benefits and pension programs.
22) Melissa has been working in XYZ Company for the last 8 years. She got a very attractive job offer from another company in the same industry and decided to leave her current company. She is one hundred percent vested. Which of the following acts guarantees that she cannot lose the pension benefits after she leaves her job in XYZ Company?
23) This was enacted in order to allow employees who are terminated, laid off, or have a change in their employment status to temporarily remain on the employer-sponsored medical insurance plan.
24) Title VII and ADEA do not protect federal government employees. Which one of the following executive orders and/or laws gives similar protection to federal government employees?
25) This provision mandates that federal government agencies take affirmative action in providing jobs for individuals with disabilities.
26) PPACA and its amendment Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 are considered to be the basis for health care reform in the United States. Which of the following is NOT considered to be one of the goals of this health care reform?
27) What is it called when the compensation practices in non-unionized companies mirror those found in unionized settings?
28) Which of these was given as a reason why union influence has diminished?
29) This type of bargaining occurs when unions shift from bargaining for large pay increases to simply bargaining for greater job security.
30) Which of the following factors explain inter-industry wage differentials?
31) Congress creates and passes laws within the ________ branch of the American government.
32) During the ________, which took place in the 1930s, a great number of businesses failed and unemployment soared, forcing the government to intervene.
33) The FLSA requires that overtime be paid on all hours worked in excess of ________ hours within a period of 7 consecutive days.
34) The ________ of 1963 makes it illegal to pay one sex more than the other for equal work performed.
35) The ________ Amendment allows female employees to charge employers with Title VII violations regarding pay only when the employer has violated the Equal Pay Act of 1963.
36) The ________ in Employment Act of 1967 was passed by Congress in order to protect workers 40 years of age and older from unlawful discrimination.
37) The ________ generation was born between roughly 1946 and 1964, and represents a big swell in the American population as the workforce gets progressively older.
38) The ________ of 1978 was put in place to prohibit disparate impact discrimination from occurring against pregnant women in all employment practices, as well as to ensure that pregnancy was treated the same as any other form of disability.
39) The ________ of 1993 sought to provide employees with job protection in case of a family or medical emergency.
40) ________ refers to an employee acquiring non forfeitable rights to an employer's contribution to fund benefits.
41) How would the compensation system change if the minimum wage provision of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 were repealed?
42) Distinguish between disparate treatment and disparate impact in a compensation context.
43) Explain interindustry wage differentials and discuss the role of unionization on the interindustry differentials.