BUSN460 Senior Project
Individual Financial Analysis Project (CanGo)
- At the beginning of 2009, CanGo purchased the online gaming company. This purchase was for cash, paid for through the proceeds of the IPO and results in goodwill.
- 90% of the online book sales comes from JIT, the other 10% through the inventory which CanGo possesses. 100% of the CD/DVD/MP3 come through CanGo inventory. The result is that 80% of ALL sales is JIT and 20% is inventory.
- There is one warehouse for shipping of books and one plant for manufacturing.
- There are three divisions: a CD/DVD/MP3 division, an online gaming division and a books division. All manufacturing takes place in the CD/DVD/MP3 division.
- The IPO took place at the beginning of 2009.
- The CD/DVDs were customized beginning in 2008. The MP3 players were built beginning in the start of 2009.
- The online gaming company was purchased for $30,000,000 and both Elizabeth and Andrew initiated the process.
- The company began in 2006, has a VC infusion in 2007 and 2008. It showed a profit in 2008 and 2009. Its only profitable division is the online book sales division.
- It has some type of international operations, hence the need for a "translation gain or loss" in owner's equity.
- It has an extraordinary loss from fire and a sale of a segment of its business in 2009.
December 31, 2009Cash
$20,900,000Marketable Securities$117,000,000Accounts Receivable
$33,000,000Less: Allowance for Bad Debts$(880,000)Net Accounts Receivable
Raw Materials$2,000,000Work-in-process$1,000,000Finished Goods$5,000,000Inventory Purchased for Resale$24,000,000Total Inventory
$32,000,000Plant, Property and Equipment$6,700,000Less: Accumulated Depreciation$(320,000)Net Plant, Property and Equipment
$200,000Goodwill and Other Purchased Intangibles
$28,000,000Less: Amortization$(700,000)Net Goodwill and Other Purchased Intangibles$27,300,000Total Assets
$235,900,000LIABILITIES AND OWNERS' EQUITY
Accounts Payable $22,000,000Accrued Advertising $11,800,000Other Liabilities and Accrued Expense$1,400,000Current Portion of Long-Term Debt$2,300,000Long Term Debt$57,400,000Preferred Stock, $100 par value per share, 100,000 authorized, 0 shares issued and outstanding$0Common Stock, $1 par value per share, 250,000,000 shares authorized, 13,000,000 shares issued, 12,900,000 outstanding$13,000,000Additional Paid-in-Capital in excess of par value, Common Stock$117,000,000Treasury Stock$(1,000,000)Retained Earnings (less Cash Dividends Paid)$12,000,000$11,000,000Total Liabilities and Owner's Equity
December 31, 2009December 31, 2008Sales Revenues$51,000,000$10,300,000Less: Sales Returns$(1,000,000)$(300,000)Net Sales Revenues
$50,000,000$10,000,000Less: Cost of Goods Sold$(9,000,000)$(4,000,000)Gross Profit
Advertising and Sales$(26,000,000)$(3,000,000)Depreciation$(160,000)Salaries and Wages$(1,700,000)$(1,400,000)Product Development$(4,000,000)$(1,200,000)Merger and Acquisition Related Costs, including Amortization of Goodwill and Other Intangibles$(700,000)$0Total Operating Expenses
$(32,560,000)Income from Continuing Operations Before Income Taxes$8,440,000Less: Income Taxes at 35%$(2,954,000)Income from Continuing Operations
Income from Operations of Discontinued Division (less applicable income taxes)$350,000Loss on Disposal of Discontinued Division (less applicable income taxes)$(150,000)Total Gain from Discontinued Operations
Loss from fire (less applicable income taxes)$(200,000)Net Income
Books$15,000,000$7,000,000Online gaming$25,000,000Customized MP3/CD/DVD$10,000,000$3,000,000Customized MP3/CD/DVD Inventory at end of 2009$8,000,000