Critical Thinking Q&A
Answer the following questions in 2-3 sentences
- On your way to a restaurant you notice a billboard advertising a local gym. There is a picture of a fit, young man and a woman in workout clothes, laughing. To one side is the name of the gym, and on the other is the following sentence: "Who says working out can't be fun?" Which of the TWO basic kinds of advertisements would this fall under? Why?
- By the time you reach the restaurant, you are no longer feeling hungry because the billboard made you realize how out of shape you have become. As you try to figure out the best light beer to buy from the list, you remember that one advertises with the slogan, "The ultimate light beer experience," and decide to give it a try. This slogan can be termed as "puffery" Why?
- After dinner, you go home and flip through the mail. You find a direct mailing from a local car dealership advertising a 3.5% interest rate and a $1500 rebate on the purchase of a new car. There is aso a fine print statement at the bottom of the page that says, "Offer only good through Friday for buyers witha credit rating of 850 or better interested in buying a gray, 4-door 2011 Chevy Impala" What would you call this final disclaimer and why?
There are a few publications as ideologically different and the National Review. After reading the appropriate article selections answer the following questions Article 1: (2010). The Week. National Review, 62(11), 4-14. Retrieved from Academic Search Complete database.
Aritcle 1 - The latest flare-up of violence off the Gaza coast has been months in the planning. Hamas, the Islamist movement that seized power in Gaza, does everything it can to bring in weapons and gunmen. Naturally there is an Isreaeli blockade. This time, Hamas got open Turkish backing to prepare and launch a flotilla of ships to enter Gaza. Hundreds of activists from all over the world, united only in hatred of Israel, were recruited to sail and provide civilian cover. Either the ships would dock, in which case the blockade would prove useless, or, more likely, there would be confrontation, and Israel would be made to look bad. Either way, Hamas was suer to generate immense publicity, adn that would be victory enough. As expected, Israeli commandos stormed the lead ship. Activists, resisted, and nime or maybe ten people were killed.
Article 2 - Is attached
Answer the following questions
- Focusing on the second article, what indicates to you that there is bias in this article?
- Focusing on Article 1, what indicates you you that there is bias in this aritcle?
- Having read both reports on the same event, what is the bias of each new source?
For each of the following arguments, determine wheter each is valid or invalid. If valid, determine whether it is deductive or inductive. If invalid, explain why.
- Whenever it rains at night, I can't sleep. If I don't sleep, my work suffers. If it rains at night, my work suffers.
- It is still my belief that it is safest to buy bottled water rather than drink from the tap. I've heard about the most recent studies, the ones tha tsay the bottled water is no purer than regular tap water. Yes, I have read that chemicals in the plastic bottles can be leeched inot the water if they sit too long. Buy really, how can something coming from the tap be as good? It just can't be.
- My younger sister went to Mom and told that I pushed her into the door that cut her cheek. But it didn't happen. I never pushed her. She must've just walked into the door on her own.
****** *** ****** is attached * **** rectified ** *******Attached: Critical thinking Q & A.docx