ECO 316 Week 3 Chapter 14 The Banking Industry
This document of ECO 316 Week 3 Chapter 14 The Banking Industry consists of:
14.1 Multiple Choice Questions
1) Between 1995 and 2000
2) Compared to the banking systems in other major industrial countries, the banking system in the United States has
3) As of 2006, about how many banks were there in the United States?
4) As of 2006, about what percentage of U.S. banks have less than $100 million in assets?
5) Comparing the U.S. banking system to the systems in other major industrial countries, which of the following statements is true?
6) By 2006, what share of U.S. assets were held by the 10 largest banks in the United States?
7) During the 1980s and 1990s, the number of domestically chartered commercial banks in the United States
8) What is the primary reason for the differences between the U.S. banking system and those in other major industrial countries?
9) When did the charter of the Second Bank of the United States expire?
10) Who were the chief foes of the attempt to establish a national banking system in the early nineteenth century?
11) When was the Free Banking Period?
12) During the Free Banking Period
13) The United States has a dual banking system in the sense that
14) What are federally chartered banks called?
15) National banks are supervised by the
16) From 1863 to 1914, which banks issued bank notes?
17) Why did state banks begin to offer demand deposits?
18) Research on the Free Banking Period has found that
19) Congress introduced deposit insurance in response to
20) A national bank is subject to examination by which of the following?
21) The CAMELS rating system
22) Critics of allowing bank examiners too much discretion argue that doing so results in banks
23) Bank holding companies are supervised by
24) Which of the following is NOT true of membership in the FDIC?
25) Which banks are members of the Federal Reserve System?
26) Federally chartered savings institutions are supervised by the
27) Most federal credit unions are chartered and regulated by the
28) Federal deposit insurance for credit unions is provided by the
29) Banks are exposed to interest rate risk primarily because
30) Interest rate risk
31) Concern for the health of banking institutions has focused on
32) Savers cannot know the true health of banks because
33) A bank run involves
34) The underlying problem that may lead to runs on solvent banks is
35) Contagion refers to
36) The most important reason for federal government concern about the health of the banking industry is that
37) The failure of financially healthy banks is particularly likely to hurt
38) The Federal Reserve System was created in response to
39) The Federal Reserve System was created in
40) The FDIC was created in
41) The McFadden Act of 1927
42) As a result of the McFadden Act,
43) When was the National Banking Period?
44) During a banking panic, a lender of last resort will
45) An important private arrangement to deal with bank runs during the pre-Federal Reserve period was called
46) In the current U.S. economy, who plays the role of lender of last resort?
47) The Fed's role as lender of last resort
48) In 1998, in order to avoid contagion, the Fed
49) Between 1934 and 1981 about how many banks failed per year in the United States?
50) Currently, the FDIC insures deposits up to a limit of
51) What percentage of bank depositors are fully covered by federal deposit insurance?
52) About what percentage of depositors are fully insured under FDIC?
53) If you have $2 million in a CD at a commercial bank that is a member of the FDIC, how much of your funds are uninsured?
54) When the payoff method is used to handle a bank failure,
55) Which of the following is NOT true of the purchase and assumption method of handling a bank failure?
56) Where do the FDIC's funds come from?
57) The introduction of federal deposit insurance resulted in
58) The main reason banks are prohibited from investing deposits in common stocks is that
59) The fact that capital-asset ratios in the banking industry are today at about half their level of 1930 is best explained by the
60) Risk-based capital requirements result in
61) States that restrict banks to having a single branch are said to require
62) Geographic restrictions on banks
63) The best explanation for the persistence of geographic restrictions on banks is that
64) Bank holding companies are
65) The Bank Holding Company Act of 1956 defined a bank as a financial institution that
66) Nonbank offices
67) The Competitive Equality Banking Act of 1987
68) Which of the following statements about branching restrictions on banks is true?
69) As of September 1995,
70) The Glass-Steagall Act of 1933
71) Which of the following statements was NOT true of the Glass-Steagall Act?
72) Universal banking refers to
73) What percentage of commercial bank deposits are held by bank holding companies?
74) For much of the post-World War II period, Japanese firms have depended greatly on bank loans because
75) In the Japanese economy, the link between keiretsu, or industry groups, and their main banks
76) For Japanese firms, since 1980 the share of external funds raised by bank borrowing has
77) A distinguishing feature of German banking, compared with U.S. and Japanese banking, is
78) One consequence of the close relationship between banks and industry in Germany is that
14.2 Essay Questions
1) Suppose a group of investors decide they want to establish a bank. How would they go about doing so?
2) Why was the proposal by the FDIC to increase coverage of insured deposits to $200,000 greeted skeptically by most economists?
3) Why have regulators in recent years increasingly focused attention on assessments of banks' internal risk management? Why might a bank's current balance sheet not provide sufficient information on a bank's risk position?
4) Briefly discuss the trend in recent years with respect to the relative importance for banks' earnings of traditional banking activities versus off-balance-sheet activities. Has this trend been unique to the United States? What are the consequences of this trend for bank regulation?
*** *** Week 3 ******* 14 *** ******* ********Attached: ECO-316 Week 3 Chapter 14 The Banking Industry.zip