1. In a unionized firm, the _____ clause of the collective bargaining agreement typically retains for management the authority to impose reasonable rules for workplace conduct and to discipline employees for just cause.
2. One distinctive feature of the U.S. system compared with other countries is
collective agreements are of fixed duration that embody a sharp distinction between negotiation of and interpretation of an agreement
low union dues and small union staffs
centralized collective bargaining
3. According to _____, an employee may not be fired because he or she refuses to commit an illegal act, such as perjury or price fixing.
public policy exception
social learning theory
4. The role of government in the U.S. industrial relations system is:
active in dispute resolution
legalistic in the courts only
legalistic in administrative procedures and the courts, but passive in dispute resolution
legalistic in administrative procedures and active in dispute
5. A bona fide occupational qualification allows
discrimination to be permissible when a qualification is considered reasonably necessary to the operation of the business or enterprise
exemption from the Fourteenth Amendment
random drug testing
6. The right of employees to strike in support of their bargaining demands is protected by
the Landrum-Griffin Act
collective bargaining agreements
the Taft-Hartley Act
7. While mediation assists the parties to reach their own settlement, _____ hears the positions of both and decides on binding settlement terms.
8. Title VII is most relevant to the employment context because it _____ on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin in all aspects of employment.
9. The concept of _____ requires an employer not only to produce persuasive evidence of an employee’s liability or negligence, but also to provide the employee a fair hearing and to impose a penalty appropriate to the proven offense.
the hot-stove rule
10. The Civil Rights Act of 1871
provides that a seniority system that intentionally discriminates against the members of a protected group can be challenged within 180 days
requires that men and women working for the same establishment be paid the same rate of pay for work that is substantially equal in skill, effort, responsibility, and working conditions
grants all citizens the right to sue in federal court if they feel they have been deprived of any rights guaranteed by the Constitution and other laws
prohibits the denial, termination, or suspension of government contracts if an employer is following an affirmative action plan accepted by the federal government for the same facility within the past 12 months
11. A worker being fired for actions ranging from filing a workers’ compensation claim to reporting safety violations to government agencies is called
12. Mediation is most successful when
mediators are assigned by the courts to intervene
the mediator’s advice has the force of a government writ
disputants see mediators as fair
the mediator acts as a judge in the negotiations
13. A(n) _____ is a neutral facilitator between employees and managers who assists in resolving workplace disputes.
14. _____ refers to an employment relationship between an employer and an employee, under which either party can terminate the relationship without notice for any reason not prohibited by law.
Fiduciary duty of loyalty
Employment at will
An implied promise
15. In U.S. industrial relations, union organization is
supported by both large and small employers
opposed by small employers but supported by large employers
opposed by large employers but supported by small employers
opposed by both large and small employers