1. Which of the following characteristics are important sources of personal power?
2. The processes and systems built to assist in the daily activities of production are known as:
3. Relationships must be formed and trust established. Clarity of direction is needed from team leaders. Your team is at what stage?
4. Employees at Turner, Inc. are engaged in a debate over the merits of an individual vs. a team-based compensation program. Based on Trompenaars’ dimensions of national culture, which cultural dimension does this debate most closely relate to?
Universalism vs. particularism
Achievement vs. ascription
Individualism vs. collectivism
Affective vs. neutral
5. _____________ help organizations run more efficiently by incorporating people, technology, and information systematically.
6. What guideline should a firm follow to attain the greatest motivational impact from a new awards programs?
Give the awards privately
Make sure the award is meaningful to the families of employees
Only acknowledge current recipients
Use awards infrequently
7. Which is the most accurate summary of the differentiation some writers have given between leadership and management?
Management is about setting direction and leadership is about creating something new.
Management is about controlling variance and leadership is about initiating change.
Management is about equilibrium and leadership is about refining current performance.
Management is about facilitating stability and leadership is about managing change.
8. Events, situations, objects, people, or other artifacts that provide greater meaning to the organization are the company’s ___________.
9. To become a better manager, what is one of the first things one should do?
Manage one’s time better
Seek knowledge of oneself
Improve one’s communication skills
Empower one’s employees
10. Your team’s approach is to involve everyone, to help people be generalists, and to share information openly. What is your team’s approach?
11. A long-range, big-picture process to assist companies in better overall management for the entire organization is known as:
Long-range goal analysis
Total Quality Management (TQM)
12. What should effective motivational programs do in terms of offering rewards?
Make a distinction between workers based on seniority
Not make a distinction between workers
Make a distinction between workers based on performance regardless of effort
Make a distinction between workers based on effort
13. What is the natural tendency of people in resolving problems?
Select the last solution possible after evaluating all the alternative.
Select the first reasonable problem that comes to mind
Select the first reasonable solution that comes to mind
Select the best solution after evaluating all the alternatives
Which is best when generating alternatives?
14. Focus on the short term; bad decisions in the short term means there is no long term to worry about.
Evaluate the alternatives after all alternatives have been proposed.
Separate alternatives from one another.
Evaluate the alternatives as they are proposed; this saves time.
15. You are a manager of a team of 50 professionals. One particular professional persists in accusing you of having your priorities out of order. Since the planning activity you do often is not urgent, this particular professional tries to undermine the activity. Which research-based principle should the manager remember?
People who experience the most time stress are those who allow others to generate their personal principles statement for them through their demands for time.
Relationship conflicts should be handled at the end of the day so that the important things can be given your best energy in the morning hours.
People who steal time from you should be removed from your work environment in order to avoid situational stress.
People who steal time from you can be dealt with by talking to them while standing.
16. You understand the importance of two-way communication during the delegation process. What does this mean?
That you, as the manager, remain available for consultation and idea exchange
That you, as the manager, should answer every detailed question and provide continual advice
That you, as the manager, provide information on a need to know time frame
That you, as the manager, empathize totally with the process
17. Dividing a company into sub-units where each unit would be assigned a specific function and employees would perform different tasks, and a manager(s) would be put in place to oversee the department is an example of which technique?
18. As a manager you are trying to hire someone for a critical position in your department. You have called references on three applicants. Bob’s reference, his former supervisor, said, “Bob has more information and communication flowing through him than anyone in our company.” Joe’s reference said, “Joe can get others to get things done better than anyone I know.” Albert’s boss said, “Albert is the greatest person to be around. He is so optimistic and giving.” Based on the information in the text about creating positive change, who should you hire?
Not enough information to determine
19. Which of the following is an unconscious aspect of an organization’s culture?
20. Standardization formalization and delegation are used to provide clarity to which of the following processes?
21. Which information systems help organizations with their decision-making processes?
22. According to the text Management one approach to translate a performance development vision into a reality involves a three-tier quality and innovation approach focused on:
benchmark, strategic monitor, progress monitor
universal, selected, targeted
facilities, process, and talent
early prevention, targeted intervention, intensive intervention
23. If you would like to expand your power base horizontally, what could you do?
Have lunch with co-workers in your department every day
Do an excellent job on all your assignments
Have lunch with workers from other departments
Focus on increasing your power through the formal organizational power
24. If someone believes that the possible alternatives to a problem must conform to her perception of the boss’s expectations, which conceptual block is she a victim of?
Not separating figure from ground
25. Your boss prefers that you act on your own initiative and report to her when the final results have been accomplished. Which initiative does your boss practice?
Wait to be told
Recommend, then take action
Act, then report
Ask what to do
26. As manager you have decided to enforce a new policy restricting dating in the office. You are comfortable with the policy and have decided that the policy will affect you also. Which ethical test did you most likely employ?
Golden rule test
Personal gain test
Equal treatment test
27. According to the Management text, quality may be defined as:
an inherent or distinguishing characteristic
a measure of product or service excellence minus the amount of defects.
peculiar and essential character
the attribute of an elementary sensation that makes it fundamentally unlike any other sensation
28. If your boss encourages your team to ask questions and obtain and search for data, she is trying to overcome which conceptual block?
Separating figure from ground
Bias against thinking
29. In the workplace, people are most likely to interact with which co-workers?
Co-workers with diverse social values
Co-workers with different self-awareness traits
Co-workers similar to the.
30. You need a little extra money, so you added an extra $100 to your expense reimbursement statement before handing the receipts over to accounting. Your co-worker Sara added over $1000 to her statement. If you believe Sara’s actions are worse than yours, what is your level of values maturity?
Third level of maturity
Second level of maturity
First level of maturity
Theta level maturity