Waiting for answer This question has not been answered yet. You can hire a professional tutor to get the answer.
Pro- And Antisocial Behavior
Write a 3–4-page assessment in which you observe and describe pro- and antisocial behaviors, apply a theory or concept from social psychology to explain these behaviors, and examine the role of media in promoting pro-social behavior.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
The following resources are required to complete the assessment.
Access the following resources by clicking the links provided. Please note that URLs change frequently. Permissions for the following links have been either granted or deemed appropriate for educational use at the time of course publication.
- The Today Show. (n.d.). Bystander effect – People watch girl being abducted [Video] | Transcript. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIvGIwLcIuw
- The Fun Theory (Producer). (n.d.). Bottle bank arcade [Video] | Transcript. Retrieved from http://www.thefuntheory.com/bottle-bank-arcade-machine
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom.
The following e-books or articles from the Capella University Library are linked directly in this course. Note:Some of the articles listed here are fairly old and are included because they are considered seminal works in the field.
- Banyard, V. L., & Moynihan, M. M. (2011). Variation in bystander behavior related to sexual and intimate partner violence prevention: Correlates in a sample of college students. Psychology of Violence, 1(4), 287–301.
- Greitemeyer, T., & Osswald, S. (2010). Effects of prosocial video games on prosocial behavior. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 98(2), 211–221.
- Happ, C., Melzer, A., & Steffgen, G. (2014). Like the good or bad guy—empathy in antisocial and prosocial games. Psychology of Popular Media Culture. Advance online publication.
- Malti, T., & Krettenauer, T. (2013). The relation of moral emotion attributions to prosocial and antisocial behavior: A meta-analysis. Child Development, 84(2), 397–412.
- Marsh, A. A., Kozak, M. N., & Ambady, N. (2007). Accurate identification of fear facial expressions predicts prosocial behavior. Emotion, 7(2), 239–251.
- Newton, E. K., Laible, D., Carlo, G., Steele, J. S., & McGinley, M. (2014). Do sensitive parents foster kind children, or vice versa? Bidirectional influences between children's prosocial behavior and parental sensitivity. Developmental Psychology, 50(6), 1808–1816.
- Nickerson, A. B., & Mele-Taylor, D. (2014). Empathetic responsiveness, group norms, and prosocial affiliations in bullying roles. School Psychology Quarterly, 29(1), 99–109.
- Thomaes, S., Bushman, B. J., Orobio de Castro, B., & Reijntjes, A. (2012). Arousing "gentle passions" in young adolescents: Sustained experimental effects of value affirmations on prosocial feelings and behaviors. Developmental Psychology, 48(1), 103–110.
- Stanger, N., Kavussanu, M., Boardley, I. D., & Ring, C. (2013). The influence of moral disengagement and negative emotion on antisocial sport behavior. Sport, Exercise, and Performance Psychology, 2(2), 117–129.
- Wardle, G. A., Hunter, S. C., & Warden, D. (2011). Prosocial and antisocial children's perceptions of peers' motives for prosocial behaviours. British Journal of Developmental Psychology, 29(3), 396–408.
- Pro- and Antisocial Behavior Scoring Guide.
Locate research articles on the topics of pro-social and antisocial behavior. Find at least two articles to use in this assessment.
Watch the videos linked in the Internet Resources:
- The Bystander Effect.
- Bottle Bank Arcade.
Select one recent advertisement (from television, billboard, or other advertising media) that depicts pro-social behavior and one that depicts antisocial behavior. These will be used as the foundation for this assessment.
After reviewing the video clips and selecting advertisements, complete your assessment. In your introduction, describe or identify the advertisements you selected. Include the following in your assessment:
- Describe the pro-social behaviors you observed in the video clips and the advertisements you selected.
- Describe the antisocial behaviors you observed in the video clips and the advertisements you selected.
- Apply at least one theory or concept from social psychology to explain the factors (individual and social) that influence a person's decision to behave pro-socially or antisocially.
- Examine how media can play a role in promoting pro-social behavior.
Your completed assessment should be 3–4 pages in length, excluding title page and reference page. Be sure you follow APA guidelines for style and format.
- Include a title page and reference page.
- At least two current scholarly or professional resources.
- APA format.
- Times New Roman font, 12 point.
- Double spaced.
Pro- and Antisocial Behavior Scoring GuideCRITERIA NON-PERFORMANCE BASIC PROFICIENT DISTINGUISHED Describe pro-social behavior depicted in media.Does not identify pro-social behavior depicted in media. Identifies pro-social behavior depicted in media. Describes pro-social behavior depicted in media. Describes pro-social behavior depicted in media; discusses the characteristics that make the behavior prosocial. Describe antisocial behavior depicted in media.Does not identify antisocial behavior depicted in media. Identifies antisocial behavior depicted in media. Describes antisocial behavior depicted in media. Describes antisocial behavior depicted in media; discusses the characteristics that make the behavior antisocial. Apply a theory or concept related to social psychology to explain factors that influence behavioral decisions.Does not apply a theory or concept related to social psychology to identify factors that influence behavioral decisions. Applies a theory or concept related to social psychology to identify factors that influence behavioral decisions. Applies a theory or concept related to social psychology to explain factors that influence behavioral decisions. Applies a theory or concept related to social psychology to analyze factors that influence behavioral decisions. Examine how media can promote pro-social behavior.Does not describe how media can promote pro-social behavior. Describes how media can promote pro-social behavior. Examines how media can promote pro-social behavior. Examines how media can promote pro-social behavior; considers the consequences to society of promoting antisocial behavior in the media. Write coherently to support a central idea with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics as expected of a psychology professional.Writing does not support a central idea. Does not use correct grammar, usage, and mechanics as expected of a psychology professional. Writing supports an idea but is inconsistent and contains major errors of grammar, usage, and mechanics. Writing coherently supports a central idea with few errors of grammar, usage, and mechanics. Writing is coherent, using evidence to support a central idea with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics as expected of a psychology professional. Use APA format and style.Does not use APA format and style. Uses APA format and style but inconsistently and with errors. Uses APA format and style consistently and with few errors. Uses correct APA format and style consistently and with no errors.