GLG 220 Week 1 DQs
This paperwork of GLG 220 Week 1 Discussion Questions shows the Solutions to the following problems:
DQ 1: Answer in 200-300 word count. Choose one question below and title your answer with Reply.
1. What is the basis and criteria for developing the geologic time scale? Based on your reading and experience, what is the most interesting period within the geologic time scale? Why?
2. What is the nature of scientific inquiry? What is the difference between a scientific hypothesis and a scientific theory? How is hypothesis and theory different from a scientific law?
3. Select one of the common ores in your state or region (such as northwest United States, southeast United States, or western Europe). Where does it come from? Why does it occur there? How important is it economically? Why?
DQ 2: Answer in 200-300 word count. Choose one question below and title your answer with Reply.
1. What information do fossils provide about past life on Earth? What information do fossils not provide?
2. Can you identify parts of a house that are made from minerals and rocks? What parts and what specific minerals or rocks? Are there any of those parts that could not be made for the house without some form of minerals or rocks? Explain.
3. Most gemstones, such as topaz, rubies, sapphires, emeralds, and diamonds, have a common mineral property that makes them gemstones. What is this property? Is that property responsible for their economic value? Why or why not?